UNAPPROVED AGM MINUTES - 2023
UNAPPROVED MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD ON SATURDAY 1 APRIL 2023 AT THE COALPORT YHA, TELFORD
PRESENT: 35 members were present. The meeting was chaired by Chris Riddle as Chairman of the Society.
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies had been received from 10 members.
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of the AGM held on 2 April 2022 were APPROVED as a correct record.
3. REPORT FROM THE CHAIRMAN AND OFFICERS
The Chairman presented a report on behalf of the officers and himself, the following summarising the main points:
- During the year, two live meetings had been held. Allan and Thelma Smith were thanked for looking after the domestic arrangements for these.
- Following the pandemic, some virtual lectures had been continued by other ceramics organisations and been made available to Society members. Those organisations were thanked for this.
- The Society had published four newsletters during the year. Chris Brown was thanked for peer reviewing submissions, and Roger Thornhill and his son David for producing a newsletter that was the envy of many ceramic societies.
- To allow it to continue to be published quarterly, members were encouraged to write more articles for the newsletter.
- It was noted that the post of Programme Secretary had been vacant for the last year. This was a key post and an appeal was made for a volunteer to come forward to take this up.
- There was also a vacancy for one committee member.
- John Benbow was thanked for examining the accounts for 2022 and Kate Cadman for her help and support to the Society and its members throughout the year.
- Current membership remained at the 100 paying households level. Ivor Smith was thanked for looking after membership matters.
- 17 copies of the pattern book had been sold during the year, leaving only 26 more to be sold.
- Chris Brown and Roger Thornhill were thanked for the work they were doing to write and publish a companion volume of overglaze patterns, hopefully in 2025 to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Caughley manufactory.
- As would be reported, the Society’s finances were in a healthy state. Thelma Smith was thanked for looking after these.
- The financial situation had allowed an eyebath to be purchased by the Society, which had been presented earlier in the day to the Coalport China Museum. This would help to illustrate the production of utilitarian as well as the table and ornamental items.
- Investigations were progressing into the replacement of the Society’s website.
- The official address of the Society had been moved from Shrewsbury Museum to the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust library.
- Thanks were given to all other officers and committee members for their help in managing the Society’s affairs.
- Finally members were thanked for being part of the Society and their contribution to it.
A member of the Society thanked Chris Riddle for his chairmanship.
4. ACCOUNTS FOR 2022
The income and expenditure accounts for the year ending 31 December 2022, which were available at the meeting, were presented by the Treasurer, Thelma Smith. In line with Rule 23, these had been examined by John Benbow. It was reported that the Society continued in good financial health.
It was AGREED that the accounts as presented be adopted.
5. SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR 2024
In the light of the financial situation reflected in the accounts, it was AGREED to keep subscriptions for 2024 unchanged i.e. UK: £25 per household; overseas in sterling: £30 per household.
6. ARRANGEMENTS FOR EXAMINING THE ACCOUNTS FOR 2023
It was AGREED that the accounts for 2023 be examined by John Benbow.
7. TO AGREE PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE SOCIETY’S CONSTITUTION
Changes to the Society’s constitution which would enable virtual annual general meetings and special general meetings to be held were AGREED. This would be put into effect by the addition of the following additional clauses:
9.(6) An annual general meeting and special general meeting may be held in person, online, by telephone, video link or other electronic means, or on a hybrid basis.
9.(7) A person attending a meeting shall have the same rights to receive notices, speak, vote and otherwise participate in the meeting irrespective of the way in which they attend the meeting.
10.(5) All notices shall specify the way in which a meeting is to be held and the means by which a person may attend.
11.1A A person shall be deemed to be present irrespective of the way they attend.
8. TO AGREE A CHANGE IN RULE 11 OF THE SOCIETY’S RULES
A change to Rule 11 of the Society’s Rules was AGREED which would enable the committee to meet virtually. This would be put into effect by the addition of the following underlined words:
The committee shall meet on a regular basis and may do so in person, online, by telephone, video link or other electronic means, or on a hybrid basis.
9. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS FOR 2023/24
The following elections were AGREED:
Chairman - Chris Riddle
Secretary - Roger Thornhill
Treasurer - Thelma Smith
Archivist and Librarian - Allan Smith
Meetings Organiser - Chris Riddle
Membership Secretary - Ivor Smith
Newsletter Distribution - Chris Riddle
Newsletter Editor - Roger Thornhill
Press & Publicity Officer - Olly Cartwright
Programme Secretary - VACANCY
Committee Members - Simon Bailey, David Byrne, Tim Dawes, Phil Thomas, VACANCY
Registered charity no 1137851